Things have been quiet on the “new feature” front for the past few weeks, but we’ve kept ourselves busy as always. A major ongoing project of ours is about improvements in the server infrastructure that supports the PhotoDeck service.
Not that we’d have any server crisis going on, mind you:
The service availability for April was 99.98% (yeah, even though we deployed some pretty significant infrastucture changes). For the past 12 months, it was 99.95% — still a number to be really proud of.
Still, it has happened a couple of times that we had to wake up in the middle of the night to attend a server. And like everybody else, we don’t like being woken up in the middle of the night. There’s been a couple of hardware failure we can mitigate but not prevent. There’s been a network outage at our infrastructure provider, also unpreventable. But we’ve also discovered that we could make some parts of the PhotoDeck architecture more robust still.
And that’s exactly what we’re doing – some heavy lifting on the infrastructure for even more robustness, and to accomodate our growth.
The most complex part of the project is behind us (well, for this round, as this is also about continous improvement). We still have a few bits and pieces to take care of, and we’ll soon also upgrade (again) the servers hardware, so that’ll keep us busy for a couple of weeks still…
Oh, I almost forgot:
We’re also playing with a great new feature in our lab, one that will be of interest to most of our members… It shouln’t be very long until it makes its way to the live service!